5 Ways to Protect Yourself, Family, and Others Against Coronavirus

Wash hands

The Coronavirus outbreak is a scary time for many, especially those with elderly or immune-compromised loved ones. The first step to protecting yourself against the virus is knowledge. There are many ways you can lower the transmission or infection rate for your family.

Hand Sanitizer

One way is by using hand sanitizer. Hand washing is the best method for preventing the spread of disease. Sometimes, you won’t have access to soap and water. You might be shopping or in a public setting, there is where hand sanitizer comes in. Hand sanitizer is a great alternative to soap and water.

[See:  Green Care Hand Sanitizer]

Sanitizer has been proven to kill up to 99% of germs and bacteria. However, this depends on the strength and type you are using. Non-alcohol-based sanitizers aren’t the best. They lack the necessary ingredient that kills the virus’ envelope protein. That protein is responsible for multiplying and is vital to its survival. Alcohol-based sanitizers kill most viruses, germs, and bacteria. However, according to the FDA they do need to be at least 60% of alcohol to be effective. The higher the concentration of alcohol, the more effective.

Disposable Gloves

Another way is by using disposable gloves. Healthcare workers or any worker that deals with the public should invest in them. Cashiers or bank tellers that are constantly touching money or items others have are at risk if the person has the virus or carries it. Healthcare workers may see multiple patients in just a few hours and keeping themselves protected is a must.

According to the , CDC those that do need to leave their homes to run errands don’t need to wear gloves. Provided they are taking the necessary cautions like social distancing or proper hand hygiene. There are some instances you should wear them. Coronavirus lives on surfaces for hours to days. Wearing gloves when you are cleaning, working in public setting or healthcare, and caring for a sick loved one.

Wearing gloves during everyday errands may increase the spread. If you are using a shopping cart or ATM, they can be helpful. Outside of those occurrences, you will not be protected or slow the spread.

Face Masks

Face masks can aid in the stopping of the spread of the virus. Studies show that people who don’t wear a face mask have a 17% chance of transmission and infection rate. Those that do wear a face mask properly have only a 3% chance, making this a reduction of over 80%!

There are different types of face masks that you can use. It depends on your job, how often you leave your home, and how often you are dealing with the public. For example, the average everyday person would be fine using a bandana, cloth mask, or surgical mask. Face masks are recommended for children two and older. Anyone that works in a healthcare setting should use a N95 mask. While they don’t stop the virus entirely, they do offer better protection than a standard covering at 96% versus 77%. It should be noted that healthcare workers are more at risk than the average population. There is a massive shortage of this type of mask. Due to this, we should reserve the N95 face masks for them and opt for other types of covering.

Avoid Touching Your Face, Nose, Eyes, or Mouth

The virus’s main way of transmission is through human to human contact. When a person who has the virus coughs or sneezes droplets are released in the air. These droplets are then breathed in, land on a surface you may touch, or come from close contact with a sick person. Touching your eyes, nose, or mouth after meeting a sick person or touching a contaminated surface can infect you with the virus. Proper use of gloves, face masks, hand washing, or hand sanitizer can mitigate your risk of contracting.

Social Distancing

Social distancing is one way that’s been hailed as the best way to prevent the spread of Coronavirus. Social distancing is one of the best ways to avoid catching the virus. Studies show that it reduces transmission and infection rates. By keeping a distance of at least three feet from others, only 3% transmitted or were infected compared to 13% who kept less of a distance. The proper social distance is six feet. This is due to droplets released in the air when a person coughs or sneezes. Now that people are returning to the workforce, guidelines on how close you work with coworkers are being laid out.

Alcohol Based VS Non-alcohol Based Hand Sanitizer

Since the outbreak, many people have been buying hand sanitizer like it’s going out of style. It’s become hard to get and, in many cases, expensive. It’s important to not be fooled because not all hand sanitizers are the same, even within the same brands. For example, there are alcohol-free sanitizers and alcohol-based ones. While they both are hand sanitizers, they differ in a few ways.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *